Tuesday, February 3, 2009

No Child Left Inside

Look at us go, we're on fire! Two blog posts in three days: more good deeds than you can handle.

So, I became enamored of the No Child Left Inside program today, which is aimed at environmental education for children. As part of this program, a bunch of high school students from Maryland, Virginia, D.C., and Pennsylvania congregated at Anacostia Park in D.C. on MLK day for some tree planting and park maintenance.

House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer did some speaking, and Rep. John Sarbanes (not to be confused with the elder Senator Sarbanes) said a few words, then picked up a shovel and started digging. Senators Ben Cardin and Barabara Mikulski also attended.

No Child Left Inside sounds like a great program... especially in cities... and especially in places like Anacostia in cities.*

*It makes me think of whenever my Wii interrupts my Wii bowling to ask if I want to take a break and go outside, and I feel guilty, like I should, even though it's 11 p.m. in December. Point being, we should all appreciate being outdoors, especially if we're planting trees, and especially if we're Congressmen planting trees in Anacostia.

2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that your Wii says that to you. How gauche!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus I love that you are on fire. Stay smokin!

    ReplyDelete